Re (2): message threading in debian lists; was Re (6): OpenVPN server mode usage.

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:59:42 -0700
> You have a complicated setup!

A complex setup.  "complicated" is a verb.  ... Sorry.

It's simplifying slowly and surely.  One helpful detail is to
route to a LAN rather than to individual machines.
route 172.23.0.0 255.255.0.0
rather than
# Curie
route 172.23.4.2
# Heaviside
route 172.23.5.2

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:53:04 -0700
> But since you have routes to public IP space there perhaps you would
> want to route all of your traffic over the vpn (once you have it
> working) and then you wouldn't need specific routes for everything.

Dalton has a relatively fast connection to the 'net
provided by the university.  Joule at home has a
relatively slow connection to the net through shaw.ca.
Are you suggesting that all of dalton's 'net traffic
go through the tunnel and Joule?  Are you suggesting
that all of joule's 'net traffic go through the tunnel
and dalton?  Aren't both significantly disadvantageous?

> Standard email headers apply.  RFC 2822 would cover them.

Certainly, but how many new Debian users will find RFC 2822, study
it and perceive how threading works when subscribing to debian-user?
I might try adding a brief note about threading in
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/MailingLists and I wonder how many
new users will find that.

Regards,         ... Peter E.

--