Re: building a desktop that will be supported by Lenny

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 14:09 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:
> I'm about to get a new desktop and want to run Lenny on it.  I'm replacing a
> seven-year-old PC, now running Lenny, that has been crashing off and on for a
> couple of years.
>
> When I built my first Debian machine, I had to use testing (Etch at the time)
> because stable (Sarge) didn't yet support my NIC.  Is there anything in new
> hardware that I should particularly avoid because it might not be suppprted
> by Lenny?  I'll be keeping the old peripherals, so this only concerns the
> components inside the case.

You might want to consider installing Squeeze given that it will be
released soonish (expected for 5./6. February [0]).

You can obtain images from:

and follow the installation guide for Squeeze:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/installmanual

If that is indeed not an option for you, I would advise you to check
hardware compatibility on one of the HCL sites like [1]. A Live CD [2] /
[3] might give you some ideas what works and what will not work.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/01/msg00003.html
[1] http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
[2] http://live.debian.net/
[3] http://grml.org/
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.