Re (8): OpenVPN server mode usage.

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:52:08 -0700
> Only my dynamic client has a remote set.

??
We are on the same frequency here.  The dynamic-ip system
has a remote parameter pointing to the static-ip system.  The
static-ip system lacks the remote parameter ... unless I revert
to my old dependance upon a DDNS server, ... which had failed.

Me previously,

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:52:08 -0700
> Yes.  But the tunnel will start when the client connects.  If you
> restart the server then the client will detect this and connect.

>From what you have said I'll infer that your dynamic-ip system
is what people call a "road warrior".  Usually a laptop which the
user takes on a field trip.  It connects for a session with the user
present.

My situation is different.  The dynamic-ip system Joule remains at
my residence running 24/7.  It is unattended when I am in the city
at work.  If the tunnel on the static-ip Dalton is restarted, I prefer
that Joule reconciles and the tunnel is open again within a few
minutes.

> I use keepalive 20 120 on my server.  This is the same as specifying
> all of four different ping parameters.

Nice.  Thanks.  I'll use it.

> Same as:
>   ping 20
>   ping-restart 120
>   push "ping 20"
>   push "ping-restart 120"

I'll guess that ping-restart listens for a signal but doesn't emit one.
The purpose in the static-ip system emitting pings and the dynamic-ip
doing "ping-restart 120" is obvious.  Why is the converse needed?  When
none of your road warriors are on-line the static-ip "server" will be restarting
openvpn every 120 s.  Why?

Incidentally, does your "server" really have "mode server" or just a
collection of "mode p2p" tunnels?

> Because this exists on the server then the 'push' actions will push
> those to the client and configure the client.  I like to keep that
> configuration all in one place on the server and have it take effect
> globally for all clients.

Thanks for the discussion.  My configurations are improving gradually.

Regards,             ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.