Re: Grub2 reinstall on raid1 system. Corrections!!!!!

Jack Schneider wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >   mdadm --stop /dev/md125
> >   mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --update=super-minor /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1
> >
> >   mdadm --stop /dev/126
> >   mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 --update=super-minor /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc5
>
> Bob, a small glitch.  mdadm:/dev/sda1 exists but is not an md array.
> mdadm --stop was successful, before the above.

If mdadm --stop was successful then it must have been an array before
that point.  So that doesn't make sense.  Double check everything.

  mdadm --examine /dev/sda1
  mdadm --examine /dev/sdc1
  mdadm --detail /dev/md0

> It appears that a "--create"-like command is needed.  Looks like
> md125 is md0 overwritten somewhere...

If you "create" an array it will destroy the data that is on the
array.  Unless you want to discard your data you don't want to do
that.  You want to "assemble" an array from the components.  That is
an important distinction.

You really want to be able to assemble the array.  Do so with one disk
only if that is the only way (would need the mdadm forcing options to
start an array without all of the components) and then add the other
disk back in.  But if the array was up a moment before then it should
still be okay.  So I am suspicious about the problem.  Poke around a
little more with --examine and --detail first.  Something does seem
right.

> Additionally, maybe I'm in the wrong config.  Running from a
> sysrescuecd.  I do have a current Debian-AMD64-rescue-live cd.   Which
> I made this AM.

That would definitely improve things.  Because then you will have
compatible versions of all of the tools.

Is your system amd64?

> I need to find out what's there...
> further:
> Can I execute the mdadm commands from a "su" out of a busybox prompt?

If you are in a busybox prompt at boot time then you are already root
and don't need an explicit 'su'.  You should be able to execute root
commands.  The question is whether the mdadm command is available at
that point.  The reason for busybox is that it is a self-contained set
of small unix commands.  'mdadm' isn't one of those and so probably
isn't available.  Normally you can edit files and the like.  Normally
I would mount and chroot to the system.  But you don't yet have a
system.  So that is problematic at that point.

Bob