Re: transition from Ubuntu -> Debian to avoid Unity Desktop?

On Monday 17 January 2011 12:33:25 T o n g wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:26:52 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> > It is totally unsupported and may break everything but every time we've
> > converted a system from Ubuntu to Debian in this way it has worked fine.
>
> Most important underlying requirement is the compatibility (e.g. glibc,
> etc).
>
> The convoluted Ubuntu versioning always makes my head spin. Does anyone
> have some kind of rule of thumb of which Ubuntu versions are compatible
> with Debian testing/sid?

There isn't one.  Compatibility with Debian is wonderful when it occurs, but
it is not a goal of the Ubuntu release process / team.  Mixing Debian and
Ubuntu packages isn't supported by either set of developers; but if APT / DPkg
doesn't complain about missing dependencies, you are most likely okay,
especially if the libraries in the dependency chain have symbols files
generated and shipped in their binary packages.