Re: Grub2 reinstall on raid1 system. Corrections!!!!!

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:50:12 -0600
Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:48:29 -0700
> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>
> > Jack Schneider wrote:
> > >>
> > > NO!  I did NOT add /dev/sdb and /dev/sdd to the LVM..  So that is
> > > not a problem.. I was about to do that when the machine failed..
> >
> > Oh good.  Then you are good to go.  Run these commands to stop the
> > arrays and to reassemble them with the new names.
> >
> >   mdadm --stop /dev/md125
> >   mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --update=super-minor /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1
> >
> >   mdadm --stop /dev/126
> >   mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 --update=super-minor /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc5
> >
> > Then try rebooting to the system.  I think at that point that all
> > should be okay and that it should boot up into the previous system.
> >
> > >  Bob, You cannot know how much I appreciate the time and effort
> > > you and others have given to this, hopefully a few more steps and
> > > all will be well..
> >
> > I have my fingers crossed for you that it will all be okay.
> >
> > >  I have not done the things you have suggested above. I'll wait
> > > for your response and then go!!!
> >
> > Please go ahead and do the above commands to rename the arrays and
> > to reboot to the previous system.  I believe that should work.
> > Hope so. These things can be finicky though.
> >
> > >  One other thing I am bothered by, md0, md1 were built using mdadm
> > >  v0.90, md2 was built with the current mdadm v 3.1.4. which
> > > changed the md names.  Does this matter????
> >
> > Yes.  I am a little worried about that problem too.  But we were at
> > a good stopping point and I didn't want to get ahead of things.  But
> > let's assume that the above renaming of the raid arrays works and
> > you can boot to your system again.  Then what should be done about
> > the new disks?  Let me talk about the new disks.  But hold off
> > working this part of the problem until you have the first part
> > done.  Just do one thing at a time.
> >
> >   /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdd (465G) as yet unformatted
> >   ARRAY /dev/md/Speeduke:2 metadata=1.2 name=Speeduke:2
> > UUID=91ae6046:969bad93:92136016:116577fd
> >
> > This was created using newer metadata.  I think that is going to be
> > a problem for Lenny/Sqeeze.  It says 1.2 but Lenny/Squeeze is
> > 0.90.  (A major difference is where the metadata is located.  1.0
> > is in a similar location to 0.90 but 1.1 and 1.2 use locations near
> > the start of the device.)  Plus you assigned the entire drive
> > (/dev/sdb) instead of using a partition for it (/dev/sdb1).  I
> > personally don't prefer that and always set up using a partition
> > instead of the whole disk.
> >
> > I am not sure the best course of action for the new disks.  I
> > suggest stopping the new array, partitioning the drives to a
> > partion instead of the raw disk, then recreating it using the newly
> > created partitions.  Do that under your (hopefully now booting)
> > Squeeze system and then you are assured of compatibility.  It is
> > perhaps possible that because of the new metadata that the
> > metadata=1.2 array won't be recognized under Squeeze.  I don't
> [...]
Additionally, maybe I'm in the wrong config.  Running from a
sysrescuecd.  I do have a current Debian-AMD64-rescue-live cd.   Which
I made this AM.  I need to find out what's there...
further:
Can I execute the mdadm commands from a "su" out of a busybox prompt?

Jack