Re: transition from Ubuntu -> Debian to avoid Unity Desktop?

> Can I escape Ubuntu to Debian?

Sure!

> 1. Is Debian defaulting to the Unity Desktop too?  (please say no)

No.

Well...as far as I can see into the future Debian won't be defaulting to
it.  It might be included in some repo somewhere down the road.  If I
recall correctly there was a decent discussion on Unity and Debian here
on this list sometime at the end of last year.

> 2. How can I make a transition to Debian from Ubuntu?  So I need to
> change my apt repositories and then do what else?  If glibc or the
> kernel headers are new, I'll have to recompile everything I've built,
> but that's OK.

When I transitioned from Ubuntu to Debian this was 4 years ago and I
just backed up my data to DVD, did a clean install, and then restored my
data.  Not sure if this answer helps you much...

> 3. If I make this change Ubuntu -> Debian, will I end up back in
> "Nvidia Hell" where the OS updates frequently break the
> commercial/proprietary video drivers?  I understand that nouveau is
> providing reasonable 2D for Nvidia cards, but my job requires the 3D
> support that seems available only from the commercial driver.

I did not experience problems using the Nvidia driver and updating Debian.
--
Petrus Validus
Petrus.Validus@gmail.com