Re: transition from Ubuntu -> Debian to avoid Unity Desktop?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:09:27 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:

(...)

> Can I escape Ubuntu to Debian?

Yes, why not? :-?

> 1. Is Debian defaulting to the Unity Desktop too?  (please say no)

I hope not, but I fairly doubt you don't have the chance to use the
default GNOME desktop within Ubuntu, maybe not "by default" but anything
is changeable...

> 2. How can I make a transition to Debian from Ubuntu?  So I need to
> change my apt repositories and then do what else?  If glibc or the
> kernel headers are new, I'll have to recompile everything I've built,
> but that's OK.

I would better install it from scratch, you will feel even more
"purifed" (just kidding, but only in the last sentence) ;-)

> 3. If I make this change Ubuntu -> Debian, will I end up back in "Nvidia
> Hell" where the OS updates frequently break the commercial/proprietary
> video drivers?  I understand that nouveau is providing reasonable 2D for
> Nvidia cards, but my job requires the 3D support that seems available
> only from the commercial driver.

If you keep "stable", no, no kernel update will break your nvidia drivers
(the open source nor the closed source ones). If you decide to go with
"testing", the answer should be... "maybe"?

If you are unsure about the change and worried on hardware detection, I
would go first with a LiveCD and/or installing Debian into a virtual
machine.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón