Re: Why is Evolution and Epiphany now a part of gnome-core?

On Jan 17, 2011, at 12:16 PM, T o n g wrote:

> Me too.
>
>>> Basically because gnome-desktop-environment is too big to fit on CD 1.
>>> See bug #608098 for more information, especially
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=608098#31.
>
> That seems to me an absurd reason.
>
> So only 3 of us in the entire Debian world think this way? Re-quoting OP
> of bug 608098:
>
> ,-----
> | The massive migration of dependencies from
> | gnome-desktop-environment to gnome-core is extremely undesirable,
> | because it spoils the usefulness that gnome-core used to have in
> | pulling just enough packages to have a basic GNOME
> | environment. Now, instead, it pulls WAY too many packages and
> | leaves the user without any simple method for installing basic
> | GNOME components.
> `-----
>
> I still think it make perfect sense, and a legitimated request.
>
>> Creating a new package to depend upon evolution and ephiphany and
>> gnome-core would be a less harmful solution.
>
> Yeah, but look at what the maintainer said:
>
> ,-----
> | The gnome-core package is not here to fulfill the needs of a given
> | user.
> |
> | If you need a specific set of packages, please make your metapackages
> | yourself.
> `-----
>
> well... what I can do, huh?
> Nobody care about this?

This is an example of why I've been moving away from FOSS.  Someone makes a good point in a bug report and the programmer/developer/maintainer throws it back in his face, which allows the bug to be closed out quickly.

I think it's a legitimate concern and just because one person pointed it out does not mean it only effects one person.

Yes, I care about it.  I usually run Debian for headless systems that don't use X or a DE, but when I'm using a GUI on Debian, and need to use a Gnome program, there's much more sense to it requiring and installing the bare minimum of what it needs than installing a lot of bloat.  Isn't the "Debian way" more about allowing customization and forcing as little as possible on the users or sys-admins?

Hal