Re: [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

Eduard Bloch put forth on 1/16/2011 5:52 AM:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Stan Hoeppner [Wed, Jan 12 2011, 10:28:40AM]:
>> Stefan Monnier put forth on 1/11/2011 9:46 PM:
>>>
>>> Again, I fail to see why you're so emotional about it.
>>
>> You've got that backwards.  You own a bunch of these drives and feel I am
>
> That's not my impression. The only good argument I could identify in
> YOUR answers is the strong (personal) dislike

I have no axe to grind with the translation taking place at the drive level.
There's nothing technically wrong with it.  My axe grinding regards the Linux
partitioning utilities and their current inability to properly handle proper
sector alignment of such devices without users being required to jump through
hoops.  I've made that perfectly clear now on multiple occasions on this list.

> of native 4k sectors used
> with a smaller transfer size. But the whole system programing domain has
> tons of similar situations.

Transfer size?  SAS and SATA are both capable of large multi sector transfers.
This has nothing to do with "transfer size", but SECTOR size.  It seems you lack
basic understanding of the technology we're discussing.

> Why don't you object to 32bit/64bit PCs? They work with small transfer
> bytes (bytes) but they native WORD size is a lot bigger nowadays. How
> dare they to do a such thing?

Because they work properly out of the box and don't cause headaches for the
entirety of a subset (Linux) of users of the technology.  But again, your
analogy isn't apt.

> Maybe you should consider throwing your PC away right now and buy a
> modern 8088 XT system from some garage sale.

Lemme guess:  you also own one of these drives, don't you?

It's amazing to me how many "children" there are in the world of adults these
days.  Me stating that these drives suck with Linux (fact) is, to some owners of
said drives, apparently akin to me calling their sister fat or mother ugly.

My $deity people, thicken your skin for Pete's sake...

Eduard, grow up.

--
Stan