Re: networking

Hi,

It seems Bob explained good basics but I think there is some other
confusion here.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 08:13:38PM +0530, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> AFAIK, allow-hotplug makes the interface come up only when a cable
> is plugged in.

No when device becomes available to Linux kernel even if wires are not
plugged.  The wiring event is something you need ifplugd to take care.

> auto makes the interface come up at boot time
> regardless of the cable state.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#list-of-stanzas-in-eni
(I read the source to ome up with this table).

auto is old name for allow-auto which starts itself by the initialization script.

allow-hotplug is new and it starts when the device becomes available to
Linux kernel.

Osamu