RE: networking

"Bob Proulx"  wrote:

>> Bonno Bloksma wrote:
>>> I have been wondering about this and have not seen any definitive
>>> documentation, or if there is, I have not understood it.
>>> Does "auto" imply "allow-hotplug"? If not, should I have both
>>>    auto eth0 eth1
>>> and
>>>    allow-hotplug eth0 eth1
>>> lines in my interfaces file?
>>
>> AFAIK, allow-hotplug makes the interface come up only when a cable
>> is plugged in. auto makes the interface come up at boot time
>> regardless of the cable state.

>You are exactly correct.  Having 'auto' is the old way that starts
>networking with '/etc/init.d/networking start'.  But that does not
>enable event driven actions such as link status change from plugging
>and unplugging the cable.  For that you need 'allow-hotplug'.  But
>that new way doesn't enable '/etc/init.d/networking restart' to do
>anything.

Aha, so that is why I had to restart my entire Debian machine every time I
made a change in my networking setup. I tried network restart like I used to
with our RedHat (Fedora, CentOS, etc) configurations but it never worked
properly.

>Since hotplugging is the new way the debian-installer now sets that up
>for new systems.  Using an event driven network configuration is
>definitely an improvement in general and the right direction to go.
>But us old-timers who want to be able to restart the networking then
>find that '/etc/init.d/networking restart' doesn't do anything.  For
>that we also need 'auto' to be present.

Ok, I will add both to my interfaces file. That should cover all situations.

Bonno Bloksma