Re: [OT]: Re: need help making shell script use two CPUs/cores

Dan Serban put forth on 1/10/2011 7:52 PM:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:04:19 -0600
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> http://www.hardwarefreak.com/server-pics/
>
> Which gallery system are you using?  I quite like it.

That's the result of Curator:
http://furius.ca/curator/

I've been using it for 7+ years.  Debian dropped the package sometime back,
before Etch IIRC.  Last time I installed it I grabbed it from SourceForge.  It's
a python app so you need python and you'll need the imagemagick tools.

Unfortunately its functions are written in a manner that psyco can't optimize.
It's plenty fast though if you're doing a directory structure with only a couple
hundred pic files or less.  My server is pretty old, 550MHz, and I've got a
couple of dirs with thousands of image files.  It takes over 12 hours to process
them.  It processes all subdirs under a dir.  I've found no option to disable
this.  Thus, be mindful of the way you setup your directory structures.  Even if
nothing in a subdir has changed since the last run, curator will still process
all subdirs.  It's pretty fast at doing so, but if you have 100 subdirs with 100
files in each that's 10,000 image files to be looked at, and bumps up the run time.

With any modern 2-3GHz x86 AMD/Intel CPU you prolly don't need to worry about
the speed of curator.  I've never run it on a modern chip, just my lowly, but
uber cool, vintage Abit BP6 dual Celeron 366@550 server, which is the server in
those photos.  I have a tendency to hang onto systems as long as they're still
useful.  At one time it was my workstation/gaming rig.  Those dual Celerons are
now idle 99%| of the time, and the machine is usually plenty fast for any
interactive command line or batch work I need to do.

Of note, if you've been reading this thread, you'll notice I use this script and
ImageMagick's convert utility to resize my camera photos before running curator
on them, since I can now resize them almost twice as fast, running 2 parallel
convert processes.

--
Stan