Re: need help making shell script use two CPUs/cores

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 14:39:56 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 1/9/2011 12:12 PM:
>
>> Better if you check it, but I dunno how to get the compile options for
>> the lenny package... where is this defined, in source or diff packages?
>
> You're taking this thread down the wrong path.  I asked for assistance
> writing a simple script to do what I want it to do.  Accomplishing that
> will fix all of my "problems" WRT Imagemagick.  I didn't ask for help in
> optimizing or fixing the Lenny i386 Imagemagick package. ;)

I read it as "how to speed up the execution of a batch script that has to
deal with resizing big images" and usually you get some gains if the
program to run was compiled to work with threads in mind.

>> Anyway, how are you going to take any advantadge of multi-threading
>> capabilities if the program you are going to run was not compiled with
>> this flag enabled?
>
> I think you're missing something.  Go back and read my original post. If
> you still don't understand, maybe refresh yourself on Linux process
> scheduling.

Good. It would be nice to see the results when you finally go it working
the way you like ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón