Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

Neil Youngman wrote:
> Now that I'm looking for swapping, it's obvious that there are 2
> factors here.  The system is definitely slower than lenny even
> before it starts swapping, but at the points where it gets
> excessively slow, it's clearly being slowed further by swapping.

What does vmstat say about si/so rates?

  vmstat

Again let me recommend 'htop' as a good tool for looking at the system
and seeing what processes are using memory.

Every year I increase the amount of ram I have in my system.  I now
think that 1.5G of ram is the minimum for me for a desktop system.  I
swapped over to a 1.0G laptop for a while and it was noticeably not
enough ram for my daily routines.  And of course more is better.  My
4G quad-core is always much happier.

The biggest problem for me is the web browser.  It is loading external
web sites and as those become more bloated with heavier and heavier
Javascript they keep needing more memory as those external sites
require it.  Being an external depencency it disrupts the stability of
the local system.

> The amount of swap space used is definitely higher than it was under
> lenny for the same mix of apps, so I guess I need to run less
> garbage and/or buy more RAM.

Creeping featurism is one of the biggest enemies of the system.

Bob