Debian (sid) painfully slow.

Since I "upgraded" to testing my system has been slow, occasionally to the
point that I have power cycled it because I couldn't get it to respond to
anything else.

It can take several seconds to pop up a menu and, in the worst case, swapping
from one window to another can take minutes, even if the other window is a
simple xterm. I have also observed windows being redrawn so slowly that you
can can see the rendering creeping slowly down the screen. I think that this
all indicates that the graphics is the root of the problem.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log suggests that the graphics controller is an "Intel
Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller". The only obvious error
was a failure to load /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so, so I installed  libgl1-mesa-
dri, which resolved that error, but has not noticeably improved the
performance.

It's a long time since I've had to debug X, and I'm not sure what else to try.
I've had no luck with Googling for this problem. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Neil Youngman