Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

On Friday 07 Jan 2011 17:07:30 Bob Proulx wrote:
> Neil Youngman wrote:
> > It can take several seconds to pop up a menu and, in the worst case,
> > swapping from one window to another can take minutes, even if the
> > other window is a simple xterm. I have also observed windows being
> > redrawn so slowly that you can can see the rendering creeping slowly
> > down the screen. I think that this all indicates that the graphics
> > is the root of the problem.
>
> To me this suggests that you have a process that is consuming all of
> your memory.  This is causing your system to swap.

That's a reasonable theory. The main reason I don't think it's primarily a
swapping issue, is that it seems sluggish even before I load up all the memory
hogs. When I was running lenny, I did find that loading up big Java apps could
bring the system grinding to a halt, but it was much more responsive before I
loaded up the memory hogs.

I will continue to observe the system, with swapping in mind as a possible
factor and see if there is a correlation.

Neil Youngman