Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

On Vi, 07 ian 11, 16:12:27, Neil Youngman wrote:
> Since I "upgraded" to testing my system has been slow, occasionally to the
> point that I have power cycled it because I couldn't get it to respond to
> anything else.
>
> It can take several seconds to pop up a menu and, in the worst case, swapping
> from one window to another can take minutes, even if the other window is a
> simple xterm. I have also observed windows being redrawn so slowly that you
> can can see the rendering creeping slowly down the screen. I think that this
> all indicates that the graphics is the root of the problem.

You can rule that out pretty fast if you start without X. Also look into
disabling modesetting. There is some kernel parameter for that.

One other major change I can think of that affectes performance on
occasion is the removal of non-free firmware for the Linux kernel. Make
sure you don't have any firmware errors in dmesg. The most common
firmwares you will find in firmware-linux-nonfree (you must enable
non-free for that).

Other than that htop is your friend, as others already suggested.

Regards,
Andrei