Re: Can Debian Backup ntfs File System?

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 16:50:45 Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> Zeroth rule of support - never trust your user's to tell you the
> entire story (corollary - people lie about what happened)
>
> First rule of support - before deleting *anything* make a
> backup copy yourself

Yes - but if it is no longer possible one can't, especially when the client
puts obstacles in the way.

Many clients think that computers are magic and that the supporting person has
a magic wand.

The client who wouldn't back up because she didn't want to spend any money,
found herself faced with a dead motherboard.  She expected me to have a new
computer up and running with all her data on it within a few hours.  (Note
that diagnosis was also to be included in the short timespan, as was
procurement.)  It actually took me many hours to recover the data, which I
did successfully.  Far from being grateful, she made my life a misery for
taking too long.

Had it been her hard drive that was dead, she might well have lost the data.

Lisi