Re: squeeze us-intl w/ dead keys on i386/pc/qwerty keyboard

On 01/04/2011 10:57 AM, David A. Bandel wrote:
Folks,

I've googled this with no helpful results (several unhelpful results
regarding dpkg-reconfigure console-data though).

I want to get back to the old behavior I had where my i386/pc/qwerty
keyboards had dead keys for international characters (like ~n, but
with the ~ over the n).

Can this be done anymore or not?

dpkg-reconfigure console-data and selecting all keyboards provides me
this (abbreviated) list:
pc / qwerty / US american / Standard / Standard
pc / qwerty / US american / Standard / US International (ISO 8859-1)
pc / qwerty / US american / Standard / US International (ISO 8859-15)
pc / qwerty / US american / Standard / With latin1

"dead keys" are not in the list.  I've tried some of these (the first
two choices), but no dead keys.  The nice thing about dead keys
(besides being used to them) is that they worked in xterm, OpenOffice,
IceWeasel, etc.

I will RTFM gladly if pointed at the appropriate FM to R.

TIA,

David A. Bandel
There's a better way. It uses a subset of Unicode and the "compose"
key. On a normal PC keyboard, you have to make a compose key out
of something that's there already, like the right ctrl key, or the right
Microsoft key, which is seldom used even in Windows. This is too
detailed to get into here--you need to do a bit of Googling. Basically,
it allows you to hit (for example) rt ctrl, then, quickly, two keys which
intuitively make the foreign character. Thus the ñ can be made by
rt-ctrl, the n then ~. Ä by rt-ctrl, then A then ". The French ç by
rt-ctrl then c then , and you can make ß, the German ess-tset character
by rt-ctrl ss. Similarly the ¢ sign with / and c, the € with = and e, and
on and on. (The order of the 2 keypresses is not important.) The exact
same arrangement works in Windows and Linux, but I understand that
Macs have a somewhat different setup. You will have to make your
compose key in each operating system you use--if you have 2 Linuxes
dual booting, you'll have to do it twice, etc. The arrangement to get
the characters in Windows is from a tsr program called All-Chars.

--doug