Re: sid: yaird: -t invalid flag option in kernel image install

On 2010-10-05 10:12 +0200, Joel Roth wrote:

> I used update-initramfs to create the initrd.img.
> To satisfy apt, I made a dummy mkinitrd.yaird script
> with the one line 'exit 0'.

This works around the problem but is not really a satisfactory
solution.

> I never deliberately chose yaird that I can remember,
> and the internet is scattered with complaints by people encountering
> a similar problem.

If that's the case, the scattered complaints should be brought to the
attention of the Debian kernel maintainers.  You can achieve this by
running "reportbug linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64".

> $ apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> 	Depends: module-init-tools, linux-base (>= 2.6.32-15),
> 	initramfs-tools (>= 0.55) | linux-initramfs-tool
>
> linux-initramfs-tool is provided by the yaird package,
> so this utility is considered officially supported by
> Debian sid.

It fulfills the dependencies, but that does not mean that it actually
works.  People¹ who use sid and install broken packages with several RC
bugs have to deal with the consequences.

Sven

¹ Note that this remark is not directed against you since you said that
  you did not deliberately install yaird and have purged the package.