Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless

On Tue, 25 May 2010 00:26:57 +1200
Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:39:49PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:20:45 +0300
> > Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > An interesting proposal a while ago was to be able to add some more
> > > information to Suggests:, something like:
> > >
> > > Package: acpi-support
> > > Suggests: radeontool (backlight control for ATI Radeon based laptops)
> >
> > *That* would really be a great idea.  As it is, I'm often left
> > scratching my head trying to figure out what's likely to go wrong, or
> > what functionality will be missing, if I don't install some
> > recommendation.
>
> Aaaah! what about the bloat added to the packages.gz file? You can find
> the functionality by "apt-cache show radeontool", but I agree it should
> be a suggests.

When doing an upgrade, having to stop and run 'apt-cache show xxxx' for
every recommends is annoying, and the information can sometimes be
pretty opaque, for things like library packages and lower-level glue
layers.

I don't know what to say about the size increase in packages.gz.

Celejar