RE: Unable to connect to my home wireless

> So while Thomas could file a bug, I don't think it's not
> germane to complain about DDs putting everything under the
> sun into a dependency list.  Here's the place for the
> community to decide whether we really need to force an
> install of network-manager (or avahi) when they're not really
> needed, or decide that because some cases might require it
> everyone should have it.
>
> Anyway, just my 2c
>
> James ------------------------------------
>
> Only time I have incurred this is when I have preferences set to
> include "recommended" files as "dependencies" thereby passing control
> of the upgrade to the system. Not a good idea BTW!! I use
> synaptic most
> of the time & I suspect aptitude has a similar setting. command line
> updates do not have this issue.:-)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you don't actually set preferences to install recommends.  This is now the Debian default.  You have to explicitly turn them off if you don't want them.

To avoid this, you should place these lines in /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Install-Recommends "0";
APT::Install-Suggests "0";

I agree -- recommends are not depends, and they should not be automatic.  And yet they are.

(Also note that I have the above lines in my apt.conf and I *still* got network-manger.)

James