Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

Peter Tenenbaum <quarkpt@gmail.com> writes:

> First, I intend to build a home computer which will run linux, and
> it will be 64-bit; since I'm quite new to maintaining my own linux
> computers, I'd rather limit the number of differences between the
> home machine and my portable.

Hi PT,

In regards to Debian, don't let this be a discriminator.

If you had a 64-bit and 32-bit system, it would only mean that you'd
have to burn two installation CDs. Once those CDs were installed, your
installations would be mostly indistinguishable. After the initial
install, Debian grabs the right bits for your system.

When I switched from 32-bit to 64-bit, the only difference I saw
besides a different installation image was a different kernel.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/