Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

Hi, everyone --

I guess I should clarify my desirement for 64-bit.  There are two things here.  First, I intend to build a home computer which will run linux, and it will be 64-bit; since I'm quite new to maintaining my own linux computers, I'd rather limit the number of differences between the home machine and my portable.  Second is just a desire to avoid early obsolescence in the portable, since at some point I expect 64 bit to become the standard and 32-bit to fade into the past.  That day may not be near, and in any event it may be crazy to worry about obsolescence of a computer which costs less than an iPod, but that's just the way I roll.

It also sounds like the respndents to my first message are underwhelmed by netbooks in general and recommend that I look at a low-end notebook / laptop computer instead.  I confess that the distinction is a bit blurry to me.

In any event, with those caveats, perhaps I should ask more generally for recommendations of netbooks or smallish laptops which people recommend as being compatible with Debian linux.

Thanks again,
-PT