Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 12:17:54PM -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install Debian
> linux on it when / if I do.  I'd also like to get one which uses an
> AMD64-class processor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The Gateway LT21
> looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie, fairly low-end but
> 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative experience installing Debian
> on this computer?

No specific suggestions. A caution: go to a store and make
sure your future netbook supports ACPI. I've had bad
experiences with my cheap Toshiba Satellite L305 series
laptop: the fan controls (and most other ACPI registers) do
nothing.

It seems either Toshiba or the BIOS maker Insyde H2O has
chosen non-standard SSDT/DSDT table values, with the result
that only Microsoft's OS knows where to twiddle.

There are reports that the omnibook module will correctly
handle Insyde H2O BIOS'ed notebook. Have yet to test here.

Good luck,

Joel

--
Joel Roth