Linux Zimbra front ends - was Re: Kde 3.5 ... (Maybe OT)

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 07:43 +0530, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:08:05 -0400
> "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
>
> > I even hesitate with testing but we are so desperate to
> > make Kontact work with Zimbra that we would take a chance - John
>
> Er.. why not use Zimbra's own client ? it available for Linux as well
> and it works best with Zimbra server.
>
> http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop_features.html

That was the original plan but we have found it too impacting on
production for heavy email users.  The inability to email from within an
application or file browser, the problem of attaching multiple files at
once (the dragdrop sidebar is neat but still is not the same as
Outlook/KMail/Evolution), the inability to send a contact as an
attachment (the email contact zimlet has no ability to select the email
addresses of the addressees - users were literally writing down the
destinations on paper, using the zimlet, and then typing the addresses
to try and use it), and the fact that the dialogs sometimes extend off
the screen for users with very low resolutions (and in some cases no
ability to alt-drag) are all showstoppers.  The lack of alarm popups
outside the browser, email notifications outside the browser, and an
awkward phone number ordering in contacts (FAX numbers are listed before
regular phone numbers) add to the dissatisfaction.

For a web client, it is outstanding, but it still has serious
limitations to be an Outlook replacement and we are looking to replace
many thousands of Outlook installations with this project.  We need to
offer them a near replacement.  A web client is too slow and awkward for
the heavy use we are seeing.  Thanks, though - John

PS - I hope you don't mind the change of subject but I didn't want to
hijack the thread - John