Re: Kde 3.5 ...

* On 2010 06 May 01:35 -0500, Jorge Gonçalves wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First, thank you for the great distro that is Debian, one of the best.
>
> I would like to suggest you some way so that the users keep on using
> the good old KDE 3.5 when they migrate to the upcoming Lenny.

Others have probably pointed this out, Lenny has 3.5, the upcoming
Squeeze will not.

> Maybe use dummy packages, or rename the packages so that KDE 3.5 could
> remain installed, and not be forced to upgrade to Kde4.

That ship has sailed and it isn't coming back.  KDE 3.5 is considered
dead.  Why some motivated person has not forked it yet has escaped me.

If I had the time, resources, and ability, it would be worthwhile to me
to see the KDE 3.5 codebase live on.  If nothing else, the Lenny source
tarballs would be a starting point for a new branch.  I'd expect some
pushback from the KDE devs so it's likely the fork could not call itself
KDE.  Some will say that KDE 3.5 can go no further which was also said
of XMMS which spawned Beep Media Player which spawned Audacious which is
alive and well, last I checked.  As I see it, KDE4 has been given 2+
years to match KDE 3.5 and they've been unable to do so thus the time
has come for someone to seriously consider reviving the KDE 3.5
codebase.

> I really feel sorry that KDE 3 series is no more being developed, and
> when the day cames that I no longer will be able to use KDE 3, I will
> switch to Apple or even Windows, but NEVER to kde4 or Gnome!
> (and I feel many users out there think like me!!!)

Well, don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater as we say over
here!  I felt the same way but even though it is quirky, XFCE works
fairly well as does GNOME in Linux Mint 8.  Still, either pales in
comparison to the KDE 3.5 as does KDE4 but at the end of the day, the
DE is really not why I use a Linux distribution in the first place.  So
jumping to a proprietary OS is not an option.

- Nate >>

> Thank you, keep the good work, Debian is one of the best.

Agreed.  No matter the distro I choose, they are all Debian based.

- Nate >>