Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

On Wed, 05 May 2010 08:56:48 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/05/2010 08:49 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 May 2010 09:42:03 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
>>
>>> right tools for the job, I never ever thought about putting 64bit os
>>> on my netbook - it physically limited to 2G of memory
>>
>> 64-bits kernels are not only intended for systems with tons of ram.
>> Those kernels usually have enabled the "nx bit" and AFAIK, only 32 bits
>> PAE kernels enable such feature.
>>
>> BTW, my Shuttle box has also a ram limitation of 2 GiB (and currently
>> using only 1 GiB) but has installed "amd64". It runs fine, without
>> noticeable drawbacks.
>>

> The question, though, is: "What -- beyond geekness -- is the *benefit*
> of amd64 in 'low' RAM systems?"

I searched Google for "nx bit feature geekiness" but no successful
results :-)

Beyond that, all my systems run 64-bits kernels/apps so is a *matter of
convenience* to have all of them sharing the same packages. In my case,
using a 32-bits system is a waste of time and resources.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón