Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

On 5/3/2010 11:01 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Mark Allums put forth on 5/3/2010 5:01 PM:

With 64 bits, you will need more memory, so I suggest you look for a
machine that can use 4 GB of memory.

A user's application usage patterns dictate how much memory the machine
needs, not the width of the CPU registers.  The comment above belongs in the
winders user world, not here on the debian-user list, where we are assumed
to be competent OPs.  The reasoning behind your suggestion is totally flawed.

No, 64-bit binaries are larger. This indicates to me that more memory is very useful to have.

I admit I am just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous, rather than an expert, but on this subject I am confident I am correct.

Please do not try to insult.  It is not really useful, and wastes time.

MAA