Re: NVidia MCP61, no sound...

On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:25:35 +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:

> Here aplay -l:
>
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Here is amixer info, too:
>
> Card default 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22'
>   Mixer name	: 'VIA ID 397'
>   Components	: 'HDA:11060397'
>   Controls      : 4
>   Simple ctrls  : 3
>
> Actually, you are right, it's rather strange I see just a few controls,
> they should be many more (my card is a 7.1 points one).

So the codec is "VIA ID 397". Maybe quite new for your alsa version.

Mmmm... A quick Google search¹ seems to indicate the codec is supported
since ALSA 1.0.19 and as you are running Lenny I'm afraid you'll have
1.0.17 :-/

Just to be sure, try a LiveCD of any distribution that includes a newer
ALSA version and see if that works.

¹ http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/soundchip-via-id-397-zickt-rum/

Greetings,

--