Re: gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:54:43PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20100204004432.GA2009@Europa.office>, Freeman wrote:
> >
> >There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
> >In my original learning, it is a big deal.  That is, su, not sudo, is "the
> >Debian way," whatever that is.  I've never noticed a discussion of its
> >approval, maybe because the mentions were secondary to the main point.
>
> sudo is certainly supported by Debian.  It's in main, and AFAIK well-
> maintained.  However, it is not part of the base Debian system, so it may not
> be present on every user's system.  su is part of the base system, so it is
> more "portable" is some sense.
>
> I vastly prefer sudo.  It provides more options, is more fine-grained, and is
> more secure in many cases.  However, it remains, like most simple Linux (and
> UNIX) utilities, very "raw" in that it won't aggressively advise you about
> possibly dangerous (i.e. insecure or destructive) uses.

On searching the Debian Reference I find constant mention of using sudo.
Unless something has changed since sarge, I surmise that I may have been
receiving admonishments designed for newbies and I didn't think to look
futher into it. :)  Debian sudo also has a default password timeout of 15
minutes which is probably deemed acceptable for security.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman