Re: gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

In <[🔎] 20100204004432.GA2009@Europa.office>, Freeman wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:40:00PM +0000, josé Santos wrote:
>> Is there a way for stopping Gnome's CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor from
>> constantly nagging for the root password when I want to change my cpu's
>> frequency? Google wasn't much help, nor the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
>> 2.28.0 help information on the application.
>
>There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
>In my original learning, it is a big deal.  That is, su, not sudo, is "the
>Debian way," whatever that is.  I've never noticed a discussion of its
>approval, maybe because the mentions were secondary to the main point.

sudo is certainly supported by Debian.  It's in main, and AFAIK well-
maintained.  However, it is not part of the base Debian system, so it may not
be present on every user's system.  su is part of the base system, so it is
more "portable" is some sense.

I vastly prefer sudo.  It provides more options, is more fine-grained, and is
more secure in many cases.  However, it remains, like most simple Linux (and
UNIX) utilities, very "raw" in that it won't aggressively advise you about
possibly dangerous (i.e. insecure or destructive) uses.