Re: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK prevents burning CDROM

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 06:13:15PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 03:21:11PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> > That is just an example.
> > You need to replace cdimage.raw with the image you wish to burn to CD.
>
> I have finally just now tried what you suggested.  My first problem was
> lack of a cdimage to burn.

The initial problem was that you had an image BUT it wouldn't burn with
k3b. My suggestion was to use the command above WITH the image that
wouldn't burn with k3b to see what the result was.

> purpose the genisoimage package which was already installed in my box
> because k3b depends on it.
>
> So first I created the cdimage by running
>
> genisoimage -v WQ2009 -r -o WQ2009.iso (I think)

So this is a different image which you have just now created to try out
the above command, and you are not sure if you created it properly?

> - From the googling I also discovered that mislabeling IDE drives can
> cause errors.  I checked them and discovered that both /dev/hda (the
> CD-DVD drive) and /dev/hdb (the Iomega 750 mb zip drive) were slaves; so
> I changed the hda to be the master and leave hdb as the slave.  I must

So now you have added another variable to the equation. Complicates
things, and who knows, this change alone might fix your original
problem. Note: I have no idea whether this is the case, but the act of
taking the drives out etc, may have some affect depending on what is
causing the problem.

> I then ran, as you suggested, with one change:
>
> wodim -v -multi speed=2 dev=/dev/hda WQ2009.iso
> which returned the following:
>
> dls@SOL:~/mine$ wodim -v -multi speed=2 dev=/dev/hda WQ2009.iso
> ATIP info from disk:
>   Indicated writing power: 5
>   Is not unrestricted
>   Is not erasable
>   Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
>   ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
>   ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
> Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
> Manuf. index: 3
> Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
> Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 158621

This is not a brand spanking new CDR?

> Forcespeed is OFF.
> Speed set to 1411 KB/s
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   8.0 in real TAO mode for multi session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write in    0 seconds. Operation starts.
> Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
> Performing OPC...
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:    0 of  393 MB written.Errno: 0 (Success), write_g1 scsi
> sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 3E 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x03 (logical unit communication crc error
> (ultra-dma/32)) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> resid: 63488
> cmd finished after 0.004s timeout 40s

> So I still cannot write CDs and presumably DVDs as well.  Line 15 and
> below of the message contain the error message which I do not understand.

Try with a good iso image, a netinst or similar should do. Try again
with *that* known good image and with out any multi mumbo jumbo.

> I added the -multi option in the hope that I would not render unusable
> any more CD disks beyond the four already so rendered.

Unfortunately, that is one of the side effects with problems such as
this. It is also a problem with printer problems. :(

I think there is a dry run option with wodim.

> that Konqueror opened the CD and listed the directories and files, but I
> when I tried to open the files all I got as a blank page.

The disk is crook!

> I then tried to see what would happen in K3b.  Clicking on the icon to
> import a previous multisession into the current project worked, and the
           ^^^^^^^^
        ???

> projects window showed all the names of the directories and of the files
> which were ostensibly burned.
> I next tried to move one from the upper to the lower window one of the
> files in the lower window list.  I was then asked whether I wanted to
> overwrite the file listed but not in fact there.  I answered yes and K3b
> did so.

Yes, but the disk is crook right? So anything else won't magically fix
it, despite what the program says.

> I would certainly appreciate it if you could explain to what the error
> message means and what I need to do to be able to burn disks again.

I read it as the drive doesn't like the disk or the image.

"Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0" and "logical unit
communication crc error" with "Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)"

Try burning a netinst image on to a new CDR disk with the command:

wodim -v speed=2 dev=/dev/hda xxxx.iso

where xxxx.iso is the netinst image you download from the Debian site.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte