Re: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK prevents burning CDROM

Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 03:21:11PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
>> I assume that at some point during the burn process 'cdimage.raw' is
>> created by wodim from the files selected for burning.  If it had been
>
> wodim -v speed=2 dev=/dev/hda cdimage.raw
>
> That is just an example.
> You need to replace cdimage.raw with the image you wish to burn to CD.

I have finally just now tried what you suggested.  My first problem was
lack of a cdimage to burn.  After some googling I discovered for the
purpose the genisoimage package which was already installed in my box
because k3b depends on it.

So first I created the cdimage by running

genisoimage -v WQ2009 -r -o WQ2009.iso (I think)

- From the googling I also discovered that mislabeling IDE drives can
cause errors.  I checked them and discovered that both /dev/hda (the
CD-DVD drive) and /dev/hdb (the Iomega 750 mb zip drive) were slaves; so
I changed the hda to be the master and leave hdb as the slave.  I must
say that the hda change had no effect on reading CDs and DVDs; I could
read both as before.  I could also continued read to and write from the
zip drive as before.

I then ran, as you suggested, with one change:

wodim -v -multi speed=2 dev=/dev/hda WQ2009.iso

which returned the following:

dls@SOL:~/mine$ wodim -v -multi speed=2 dev=/dev/hda WQ2009.iso
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 3 = CD-ROM XA mode 2
scsidev: '/dev/hda'
devname: '/dev/hda'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.9
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'SONY    '
Identification : 'DVD RW DW-D26A  '
Revision       : 'JYS2'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1895168 = 1850 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
FIFO size      : 12582912 = 12288 KB
Track 01: data   393 MB
Total size:      451 MB (44:43.00) = 201225 sectors
Lout start:      451 MB (44:45/00) = 201225 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 158621
Forcespeed is OFF.
Speed set to 1411 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   8.0 in real TAO mode for multi session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    0 of  393 MB written.Errno: 0 (Success), write_g1 scsi
sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 3E 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x03 (logical unit communication crc error
(ultra-dma/32)) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 63488
cmd finished after 0.004s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 126976 bytes
wodim: A write error occured.
wodim: Please properly read the error message above.
Writing  time:   13.951s
Average write speed 320.6x.
Fixating...
Fixating time:   32.203s
BURN-Free was never needed.
wodim: fifo had 194 puts and 3 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 2 times full, min fill was 99%.
dls@SOL:~/mine$

So I still cannot write CDs and presumably DVDs as well.  Line 15 and
below of the message contain the error message which I do not understand.

I added the -multi option in the hope that I would not render unusable
any more CD disks beyond the four already so rendered.  I found first
that Konqueror opened the CD and listed the directories and files, but I
when I tried to open the files all I got as a blank page.

I then tried to see what would happen in K3b.  Clicking on the icon to
import a previous multisession into the current project worked, and the
projects window showed all the names of the directories and of the files
which were ostensibly burned.

I next tried to move one from the upper to the lower window one of the
files in the lower window list.  I was then asked whether I wanted to
overwrite the file listed but not in fact there.  I answered yes and K3b
did so.

I would certainly appreciate it if you could explain to what the error
message means and what I need to do to be able to burn disks again.

Regards, Ken Heard