Re: Problems with NVIDIA Driver: "Unable to validate any modes"

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:39:13 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:45:58 -0500 (EST), Felix Natter wrote:
> >
> > => the problem is that although I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor
> > (plugged in via VGA cable, it doesn't have a DVI port) I only get
> > 640x480 resolution.
>
> I would start by keeping things as simple as possible.  Based on the
> kernel you are running, I'm assuming that you are running Squeeze.
> Use an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks like this:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>         Driver          "nvidia"
> EndSection
>
> Just those four lines are all that should be necessary.
> If that doesn't work, post the contents of Xorg.0.log from that
> start-up.
>
> I would be surprised if any TFT monitor does not support EDID.
> EDID came out in 1994, and virtually all monitors manufactured
> since then have it.

doesn't mean it read correctly :-)  That's the problem with my monitor.

I have had this "invalid" mode problem also.

I had to fix it using a hardcoded modeline in the config file.

Unfortunately for the OP,  I can't remember how I determined the
modeline, but I seem to remember simply cutting and pasting it from the
auto-detect modelines.

I pasted in a modeline X claimed wouldn't work, and it worked
perfectly.

Brian