Re: Problems with NVIDIA Driver: "Unable to validate any modes"

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:45:58 -0500 (EST), Felix Natter wrote:
> => the problem is that although I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor (plugged
> in via VGA cable, it doesn't have a DVI port) I only get 640x480
> resolution.

I would start by keeping things as simple as possible.  Based on the
kernel you are running, I'm assuming that you are running Squeeze.
Use an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "nvidia"

Just those four lines are all that should be necessary.
If that doesn't work, post the contents of Xorg.0.log from that

I would be surprised if any TFT monitor does not support EDID.
EDID came out in 1994, and virtually all monitors manufactured
since then have it.

  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :
 `. `'`