Monitor question

Hi Folks,

Running Lenny updated.
I'm wondering what I lose if I switch to a large wide screen monitor.  I
currently have a "regular" 17" Viewsonic (VP171s).  Works fine, but since my
eyes are getting older, I'm tempted by the crop of wide screen 25" monitors
on the market.  If you want to tell me how great a particular brand of
monitor is, please e-mail me off the list (I don't want to start a flame war
on the list).  My systems currently use the on-board video that comes with
the motherboards.  (I have multiple systems connected to the monitor)  For my
server, I want to keep using the on-board video, but for my desktop machine,
putting in a video card is not out of the question.

So, questions:
1. Will my on-board video cards be able to drive a new monitor to full
resolution?  If not, will I be able to run the GUI in a usable fashion or
will I get a fuzzy display or will there be other compromises?

2. Are there monitors that do not support text mode out there?  I'm asking
because I do as much work on my server as possible in text mode, only using X
when absolutely necessary.  I also feel the need to watch the boot messages
go by at times.  If a monitor can't display text mode, then it will be
useless to me.

3. Are there any other general suggestions about the wide screen monitors that
I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Mark