Re: Monitor question

On 12/24/2010 04:30 PM, Mark Neidorff wrote:
Hi Folks,

Running Lenny updated.
I'm wondering what I lose if I switch to a large wide screen monitor.  I
currently have a "regular" 17" Viewsonic (VP171s).  Works fine, but since my
eyes are getting older, I'm tempted by the crop of wide screen 25" monitors
on the market.  If you want to tell me how great a particular brand of
monitor is, please e-mail me off the list (I don't want to start a flame war
on the list).  My systems currently use the on-board video that comes with
the motherboards.  (I have multiple systems connected to the monitor)  For my
server, I want to keep using the on-board video, but for my desktop machine,
putting in a video card is not out of the question.

So, questions:
1. Will my on-board video cards be able to drive a new monitor to full
resolution?  If not, will I be able to run the GUI in a usable fashion or
will I get a fuzzy display or will there be other compromises?
Probably will but that depends on video card specification.
If your video card is capable of XxY resolution and your monitor will have the same than everything will be ok.

2. Are there monitors that do not support text mode out there?

I don't think so.
3. Are there any other general suggestions about the wide screen monitors that
I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Mark

Probably everything will work just fine. In Lenny period I switched from 19" CRT to 24" LCD without a problem.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic