Re: Keeping Lenny via /etc/apt/sources.list when Squeeze becomes stable

Alexander Batischev wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 02:41:48PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
Do you mean that there is no way to keep the same name for the time it lasts a release?

Excuse me for intervening, but no, he does not mean that. You see, you can
look at codenames (like 'etch', 'lenny' or 'squeeze') as 'absolute' values,
and at release names ('stable', 'testing' etc.) as 'relative' ones. 'lenny'
would still be 'lenny' after release of 'squeeze' (or whichever), but 'stable',
'testing' etc. would change.

I thought "lenny" repo would automatically point to "oldstable" when squeeze is released, that is, no manual intervention required from user's side :-?

Yep, you're right: after squeeze's release, both lenny and oldstable would
point to the same place. The point is: if you use codenames, your distribution
won't change (that is, if it was lenny, it would stay so); but if you used
release names (say, 'stable'), you'll be automatically upgraded to the release
that became stable (squeeze, in that case).

...and sid is always unstable...bless it (him?)