Re: Keeping Lenny via /etc/apt/sources.list when Squeeze becomes stable

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:17:06 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <[🔎] AANLkTin5-x9Wz731nxNCMgUNZjSYvQYcfSpxmmRaaqdE@mail.gmail.com>, Mark
> wrote:
>>I am giving my parents a laptop for Christmas this year that I put Lenny
>>on and as I'm on the other side of the country, want to make sure they
>>stay on Lenny until I am home in the future to upgrade to Squeeze after
>>it officially becomes the Stable release.  I've seen some emails about
>>using "Lenny" instead of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list to force
>>aptitude to keep a Lenny system.  Is this the official/accepted method?
>
> This will work for a while, but eventually the 'lenny' directory will be
> moved off the main mirror system onto the archives and the 'oldstable ->
> lenny' will be updated.

Do you mean that there is no way to keep the same name for the time it
lasts a release?

I thought "lenny" repo would automatically point to "oldstable" when
squeeze is released, that is, no manual intervention required from user's
side :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable

Greetings,

--