Re: RAID1 with multiple partitions

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, David Gaudine
<davidg@alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:
> On 10-12-16 3:13 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM, David Gaudine
>> <davidg@alcor.concordia.ca>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The temporary hostname is in each ARRAY line in mdadm.conf.
>>
>> I've never seen a hostname value on the ARRAY line in mdadm.conf. Are
>> you confusing hostname and array name?
>
> The array name is based on the hostname.
>
> ARRAY /dev/md/0 metadata=1.2 UUID=ca74958e:22f7fbfc:05211e6a:b4750387
> name=gradstudies2:0
>
> I later went ahead and changed the hostname and the corresponding part of
> the array name and it booted.  Then I changed them back.  But wait... I
> forgot to change the array name back!  The above line is from a host that
> was initially called gradstudies4, then gradstudies2, now back to
> gradstudies4, and it works.  So apparently it doesn't matter.
>
> I guess it's the name on the HOMEHOST line that has to match what's in the
> superblock, and since the default is <system>... well, <system> means the
> local system, and I don't know if that's taken from the superblock or
> /etc/hostname.  But it works.

I never use the "--name" option when creating an md device but AFAIK
it just allows you to refer to an md device with a name of your
choice.

I'm glad that it works but the "HOMEHOST <system>" is used at the
creation of the md device so there must be another mechanism at work
to allow for the assembly of "/" in spite of the change of hostname.