Installing latest version of mediawiki & removing Lenny's mediawiki package

I am using Debian Lenny on my AMD Anthlon X2 box. Currently I am using mediawiki version 1.12 that shipps with Lenny. However, I would like to upgrade to latest version of mediawiki 1.16 [1]. I know Debian backports has 1.15 but I want 1.16 (or whatever is the latest version).

What is the best method to make this transition (from Debian mediawiki package 1.12 to the vanilla mediawiki 1.16) in Debian Lenny?

Should I first uninstall the mediawiki package from the Debian Lenny and then follow the normal instructions from [1] to install the latest mediawiki assuming I am backing up my extensions, LocalSettings.php, image directory and any other mediawiki code file that I may have modified?

Thanks!

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download