Re: Which OS to install?

On 16 December 2010 17:53, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Hint: APT'S 'build-dep' makes this easy.  Since this is already in
> Squeeze then if you were running squeeze you could install all of the
> build dependencies for that version by using apt.
>
>  $ sudo apt-get build-dep hitori

Thanks, most useful to know.

> That will automatically install any build dependencies onto your
> system that it doesn't otherwise have installed.  Then you can build
> from source normally.  And additionally you can rebuild the version
> from squeeze easily too.
>
>  $ apt-get source hitori
>  $ cd hitori-0.2.3
>  $ debuild -uc -us  # From the devscripts package.

Again, thanks. I've just completed an install of Squeeze now so will
try all this. Actually I'm using AMD64 again (same as my Lenny).
Thought of using X86 to be "safe" but I figured that if 64 bit
graphics work ok it shouldn't be an issue. Or is this too naive?

> You might also want to build your own source too but seeing how the
> Debian maintainer builds it is often useful.  Then you can learn from
> it and apply to your own custom build.

Exactly! At present I'm assuming I can just add to the source and keep
all else the same, provided I don't add anything materially different
in the way it behaves. If all goes well I can then maybe look at
building my own. I'm interested in also looking at other 2D Sudoku
variants. Hopefully if I can master one type I should have a template
for others. My main interest is in the solution algorithms rather than
the graphics side, but I'd want to have the ability to modify the
presentation and user interaction so I need to understand how this is
put together.

Russell