Which OS to install?

I would like to compile a GTK+ application from source (hitori-0.2.5)
so that I can play with the source code. I followed the instructions
up to ./configure which reports missing packages:
No package 'glib-2.0' found
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
No package 'gmodule-2.0' found
No package 'cairo' found

This wasn't a surprise although using Synaptic or aptitude I can't
find packages with these exact names but there are various libraries,
etc. with related names. Trying to install one of these I get
unresolved dependencies and a suggestion to check the repositories. It
seems I've got a long path ahead of me so I think I should start with
a clean system. At present I use Lenny (AMD64) with a couple of
backports (maybe  they are part of the problem), although I do
multiboot several OS's and I can install another easily. So I think I
may install another OS just for this project (which will keep my day
to day system intact). I'd like to ask for suggestions as to what OS,
preferably some flavour of Debian, perhaps the current Squeeze?

Any other suggestions gratefully welcomed, particularly where to start reading.