Re: Which OS to install?

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Russell Gadd wrote:
> > I would like to compile a GTK+ application from source (hitori-0.2.5)
> > so that I can play with the source code. I followed the instructions
> > up to ./configure which reports missing packages:
>
> You need the development packages for these libraries which are usually
> in libfoo-dev, for every "No package 'foo' found" that configure reports.

Hint: APT'S 'build-dep' makes this easy.  Since this is already in
Squeeze then if you were running squeeze you could install all of the
build dependencies for that version by using apt.

  $ sudo apt-get build-dep hitori

That will automatically install any build dependencies onto your
system that it doesn't otherwise have installed.  Then you can build
from source normally.  And additionally you can rebuild the version
from squeeze easily too.

  $ apt-get source hitori
  $ cd hitori-0.2.3
  $ debuild -uc -us  # From the devscripts package.

You might also want to build your own source too but seeing how the
Debian maintainer builds it is often useful.  Then you can learn from
it and apply to your own custom build.

Bob