Re: Postfix SASL SMTP AUTH help, please. [re-post from comp.mail.misc]

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 06:39:23PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> Background:
>
> I run fetchmail in a script wrapper called by my user crontab.
> Changing the interval at which the cronjob runs to 10 min. instead of
> every five minutes broke the implied "POP before SMTP" authorization.
> Apparently, my ISP's SMTP times out PbS authorization fairly quickly.
>
> I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.

Do you have sasl2-bin package installed?

> Essentially, this means placing my ISP username and password in
> /etc/posfix/sasl_passwd:
>
>    [smtp.nucleus.com]:366 keeling:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> then adding:
>
>    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>    smtp_sasl_security_options =
>
> to /etc/postfix/main.cf, followed by:
>
>    postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>    postfix reload
>
> and (for the heck of it):
>
>    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
>
> It had no effect.  Changing the crontab fetchmail wrapper interval
> back to 5 min. lets it work, but I'd rather smtpd not be dependent on
> how often a user cronjob runs.  What am I missing, or how do I get
> SASL SMTP AUTH working?  BTW, I'm trying to get this question to
> postfix-users, but that's been somewhat difficult with a broken mail
> system (though I am now gaining on it).

I use exim recently but when I use postfix, Iwrote following howto for
this topic:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch06.en.html#_the_configuration_of_postfix_with_sasl

Osamu