Re: Postfix SASL SMTP AUTH help, please. [re-post from comp.mail.misc]

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 06:39:23PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
[cut]

The official documentation for how to do this would appear to be at
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl_enable

> I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.
> Essentially, this means placing my ISP username and password in
> /etc/posfix/sasl_passwd:
          ^typo?

>    [smtp.nucleus.com]:366 keeling:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Did you run "postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" after editing this file?

> then adding:
>
>    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>    smtp_sasl_security_options =

According to the above URL, you also need "relayhost =
[smtp.nucleus.com]:366". That is, exactly the same as the first field in
your file above.

> to /etc/postfix/main.cf, followed by:
>
>    postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>    postfix reload
>
> and (for the heck of it):
>
>    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
>
> It had no effect.  Changing the crontab fetchmail wrapper interval
> back to 5 min. lets it work, but I'd rather smtpd not be dependent on
> how often a user cronjob runs.  What am I missing, or how do I get
> SASL SMTP AUTH working?  BTW, I'm trying to get this question to
> postfix-users, but that's been somewhat difficult with a broken mail
> system (though I am now gaining on it).

What does postfix log to /var/log/mail.log? Any errors?