Postfix SASL SMTP AUTH help, please. [re-post from comp.mail.misc]

[I asked this in cmm, but see no help there yet.  I'm trying to get this:

   http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailservers.html

working on Debian Lenny.]

Background:

I run fetchmail in a script wrapper called by my user crontab.
Changing the interval at which the cronjob runs to 10 min. instead of
every five minutes broke the implied "POP before SMTP" authorization.
Apparently, my ISP's SMTP times out PbS authorization fairly quickly.

I'd prefer to have SASL SMTP AUTH working instead of relying on PbS.
Essentially, this means placing my ISP username and password in
/etc/posfix/sasl_passwd:

   [smtp.nucleus.com]:366 keeling:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

then adding:

   smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
   smtp_sasl_security_options =

to /etc/postfix/main.cf, followed by:

   postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
   postfix reload

and (for the heck of it):

   /etc/init.d/postfix restart

It had no effect.  Changing the crontab fetchmail wrapper interval
back to 5 min. lets it work, but I'd rather smtpd not be dependent on
how often a user cronjob runs.  What am I missing, or how do I get
SASL SMTP AUTH working?  BTW, I'm trying to get this question to
postfix-users, but that's been somewhat difficult with a broken mail
system (though I am now gaining on it).

Thanks.

(*)                                         Please don't Cc: me.
- -