Re: Cannot mount floppy drive in Squeeze

On 06/12/10 11:34, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:27:48 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:09:52 -0500 (EST), Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 15:07:20 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
Well, I'm not exactly a newbie.  I've been using Linux for more than
10 years. But I must be doing something wrong.  I can't seem to get a
floppy disk to mount.
Weird :-?

I would try with the simplest command:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

If you get no error, run "mount" to ensure your floppy has been
mounted. Also, check for "dmesg" output.
No dice.  I tried your suggested command, except that I changed /dev/fd0
to /dev/fd1, since I need the 5.25-inch drive, not the 3.5-inch drive,
but other than that it was just as you suggested.  No mount, no error
message.  The only output from dmesg is the original warning message:

    FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems,
    filesystem will be case sensitive!

which also comes out on the terminal, since I am issuing the command
from an active Linux virtual console, not a terminal emulation window in
X.
Strange, indeed.

I would try to load the floppies in another computer, maybe they become
damaged somehow :-?

Also, to discard any problem with squeeze, you can test it under a livecd
(by instance, in lenny, I don't get that "warning" about utf-8 charset
when accessing my floppy disks).

Greetings,

I recently hit the same problem, but assumed it was just my system playing up.

Using a USB floppy drive, I created a FAT floppy from an image file,
but when I wanted to change some files on it, it wouldn't mount.

Copying the floppy to a file using dd, then mounting with loop option worked.

There were no read or write errors during any of these processes (except on one bad floppy I tried).

I found the same problem with an ext2 formatted floppy. mount -v -t ext2 /dev/sdb /media/floppy returns success, but nothing is mounted.

I just tried partitioning the floppy with cfdisk, then creating an ext2 filesystem on /dev/sdb1. This mounted without a problem.

I suspect this is a bug.

Dom